Wythall Railway Station
Serving rural communities such as Tidbury Green, Wythall and Hollywood.
Wythall is situated in the Bromsgrove district of Worcestershire. The village parish was created in 1911 when Kings Norton was absorbed in the then County Borough of Birmingham. The station, which opened three years before the parish of Wythall was created, was initially called Grimes Hill.
In 1958 Woodrush High School opened in nearby Hollywood, with Coppice Primary School established in 1992 adjacent to Woodrush. Both Woodrush and Coppice are now academy schools, and Woodrush Academy are the adopters here at Wythall Railway Station.
From 1939 to 1959, Wythall was home to a Royal Air Force station that initially housed a barrage balloon facility. Between 1952–57, a Joint Services School of Applied Linguistics trained staff from the Royal Navy and RAF in Russian military terminology and the use of radios for signals intelligence purposes. Additionally, Chinese, Czech, German and Polish languages were taught to small numbers of RAF personnel.
The Transport Museum now occupies part of the ex RAF site at Chapel Lane. The museum, a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, has a collection of historic buses and battery electric vehicles and is open to the public on certain days. More details can be found at wythall.org.uk.
The museum is also home to the Elmdon Model Engineering Society (EMES) who operate the Wythall miniature steam railway within the transport museum's grounds, giving rides to the public on miniature steam trains.
The Wythall Bus and Transport Museum is some distance from the station.
Wythall Railway Station, Lea Green Lane, Wythall, Birmingham B47 6BY