The Lakes Railway Station
Built as a 'fisherman's halt' also serving Terry's Green. The platforms are quite short so passengers should travel in the leading coach. Minimal station facilities. A request stop.
'The Lakes' station, formerly known as 'The Lakes Halt', was opened in 1935. (The station now known as Earlswood was originally called Earlswood Lakes station).
The Lakes station is named after Earlswood Lakes, a set of three reservoirs built in the early 1820s to supply water to the Stratford upon Avon canal. The station is situated between the Springbrook and Clowes Wood streams which are the two watercourses dammed to form the reservoirs. A pumping station, known as the Engine House, was built to house a Boulton & Watt steam driven beam engine which pumped water from the lakes to the canal and worked for more than 100 years until 1936 when electric pumps were installed. The building, now grade II listed, can still be seen on the north east corner of the lakes.
In the Victorian period, the area became a very popular day trip destination for the industrial workers of, the now rapidly expanding, Birmingham and earned the nickname ‘The Scarbro’ of the Midlands' with boating on the lakes, tea shops and The Red Lion and Reservoir public houses.
At the time the railway line was opened, in 1908, the lakes were owned by the Great Western Railway Co. who promoted the amenities of the area to attract passengers and the area remains popular to this day due to the beautiful natural environment and local amenities.
Adjoining Earlswood Lakes is Clowes Wood Nature Reserve which is cut in two by the railway line.
This was the first reserve to be owned by Warwickshire Wildlife Trust and is a SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) of predominately oak and birch woodland with stands of beech and areas of wet meadow, which are good for wildflowers including Heath Spotted Orchid. It also includes an area of heathland, which is an open area originally created by the many fires caused by sparks from passing steam trains!
Such diversity creates a haven for wildlife and a large variety of plants throughout the seasons, wonderful at any time of the year but Clowes Wood may be at its best in May, when the ground is carpeted with magnificent Bluebells.
Ideal for angling or lakeside and woodland walks. Clowes Woods, Earlswood Lakes.
N.B. The Lakes is closer to the reservoirs than Earlswood station.
The Lakes Railway Station, Malthouse Lane, Earlswood, Solihull B94 5SE