The Stations

the-shakespeare-line-sign.png

Our plans and visions for our stations include:

  • Installing garden planters

  • Increase rail passenger usage of our line

  • Station Art and Information Boards individual to each station

  • Celebrate local heritage 

  • Arrange PopUps at the stations for local enterprise

  • Create a local sense of welcome

stratford-parkway-railway-station-new.jp
stratford-upon-avon-parkway.png

Warwickshire County Council built Stratford upon Avon Parkway as a Park and Ride facility, opening in 2013. The station is located on Stratford upon Avon's northern flank in an area known as the Bishopton.

 

The adjacent Park and Ride facility has 710 spaces for motor vehicles...

bearley-railway-station-today.jpg
bearley.png

Bearley village was mentioned in the Domesday Book and is situated within the district of Stratford upon Avon. The station sits at Bearley Cross, with Bearley village located along the nearby Snitterfield Road (turn right under the railway bridge, then cross over the Birmingham road) also home to the village hall and sports and social club...

wooten-wawen-railway-station-today.jpg
wootton-wawen-station-sign.png

Wootton Wawen railway station has been welcoming visitors and serving commuters, schoolchildren and shoppers, since 1908. The village has a population of approximately 1400 people with tea rooms, a marina restaurant, two pubs, three food stores, other specialist retailers, a Post Office, two churches, two clubs, two-vehicle workshops and a bus route...

danzey-railway-station-today.jpg
danzey.png

Opened in 1908 and until 1968 named ‘Danzey for Tanworth’, the station serves the hamlet of Danzey Green and the nearby village of Tanworth in Arden.

 

There is an almost imperceptible feeling that the scattered farms and houses in Danzey Green lie in a hidden valley well away from civilisation...

earlswood-railway-station-today.jpg
earlswood.png

Most of Earlswood is situated in the parish of Tanworth in Arden within the District of Stratford on Avon and County of Warwickshire. A small part to the north lies in Tidbury Green's parish, which is part of the metropolitan borough of Solihull...

wythall-railway-station-today.jpg
wythall.png

Wythall is situated in the Bromsgrove district of Worcestershire. The village parish was created in 1911 when Kings Norton was absorbed in the then County Borough of Birmingham. The station, which opened three years before the parish of Wythall was created, was initially called Grimes Hill...

shirley-railway-station-today.jpg
shirley.png

Shirley Station was opened by the Great Western Railway on 1st June 1908. Next to the station are eight Railway Workers Cottages which the GWR originally provided for railway workers. One of these was occupied for several years by Ted Pierrepoint, the nephew of Albert, the famous executioner. The detached house overlooking the station car park is the former GWR Station Master's residence...

hall-green-railway-station-today.jpg
hall-green.png

The area originally received the name Hawe Green taken from the medieval Hawe family who built a moated mansion in the area. The original home was called Hawe Hall. Following various extensions, the property was renamed Hall Green Hall and subsequently, the area became known as Hall Green...

tyseley-railway-station-old.jpg
tyseley.png

Tyseley station was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1906. The station is on what was the GWR’s mainline between London Paddington and Birkenhead (Liverpool). Passengers of a certain age may well remember the tall chimney near Tyseley Station with the word B A K E L I T E placed vertically along its length...

bordesley-railway-station-today.jpg
bordesley-station-sign.png

Bordesley Rail Station serves the Bordesley, Digbeth and Camp Hill areas. Minimal station facilities. Trains call when Birmingham City Football Club is playing at home...

snow-hill-railway-station-2015.jpg
birmingham-snow-hill-sign.png

Opposite the main entrance to Birmingham Snow Hill station is the Great Western Arcade built-in 1876 over the new railway line cutting at the south (London) end of the station. Initially, the line to London Paddington ran through a tunnel which stopped at Temple Row and then an open cutting to Snow Hill station...

Stratford Upon Avon Railway Station
stratford-upon-avon.png

Stratford upon Avon is known and famous throughout the world as William Shakespeare's Birthplace. Shakespeare is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's greatest dramatist...

wilmcote-railway-station-today.jpg
wilmcote.png

Wilmcote was recorded in the Domesday Book, which was completed in 1086. King John seized the area in 1205...

claverdon-railway-station-2021.jpg
claverdon-station-sign.png

The railway line at Claverdon was opened by the Stratford on Avon Railway Company as a single-track branch on 9th October 1860.

 

Claverdon station was one of three intermediate stations on the Stratford-on-Avon Railway (the other two being Bearley and Wilmcote). The line was operated by the Great Western Railway (GWR) with Brunel's broad-gauge track (7 feet between the rails) and stock until 1863 when standard gauge track (4' 8½") and trains began to run through from Worcester via the Honeybourne Line...

henley-in-arden2-railway-station-today.j
henley-in-arden.png

Henley-in-Arden is the birthplace of William James (13 June 1771 – 10 March 1837), an English lawyer, surveyor, land agent and pioneer promoter of rail transport. According to his obituary, he was the original projector of the Liverpool & Manchester and other railways, and may be considered as the father of the railway system, as he surveyed numerous lines at his own expense at a time when such innovation was generally ridiculed....

wood-end-railway-station-today.jpg
wood-end.png

Wood End is approximately one mile north of Tanworth-in-Arden. Local interest in building a railway began in 1892 when a group of local landowners, including G. F. Muntz of Umberslade and O. Bowen of Ladbrook Park, met to consider the idea. Muntz agreed to the railway passing over his land but insisted that, where it crossed the ‘Mile Drive’ between Tanworth-in-Arden village and Umberslade Hall, the bridge must be constructed of the same stone as that used for the Hall...

the-lakes-railway-station-old.jpg
the-lakes.png

The Lakes station is named after Earlswood Lakes, a set of three reservoirs built in the early 1820s to supply water to the Stratford upon Avon canal. The station is situated between the Springbrook and Clowes Wood streams which are the two watercourses dammed to form the reservoirs...

whitlocks-end-railway-station-today.jpg
whitlocks-end.png

Whitlocks End is a railway station on the Shakespeare Line located next to both the hamlets of Whitlocks End and Tidbury Green, the latter a small village in Worcestershire. It is also located a short distance from the village of Hollywood and the new village of Dickens Heath...

yardley-wood-railway-station-today.jpg
yardley-wood.png

Yardley Wood was opened by the Great Western Railway (GWR) on 1 July 1908 and known initially as Yardley Wood Platform. Platform was a GWR term for an intermediate station between a halt and a station of importance. Today the Yardley Wood station is the busiest part-time staffed station between Stratford upon Avon and Birmingham...

spring-road-railway-station-today.jpg
spring-road.png

The railway station is situated in the Birmingham City Council district of Tyseley and Hay Mills bordering on an area known as Fox Hollies. In 1869 an old inn was bought and lavishly rebuilt by Zaccheus Walker III as a private residence called Fox Hollies Hall...

small-heath-railway-station-today.jpg
small-heath.png

Small Heath is situated in South East Birmingham and has existed since Roman times. The area is close to the main route between Coventry and Birmingham and so was probably used by drovers transporting animals to and from the two cities and the livestock markets within each....

birmingham-moor-street-railway-station-t
birmingham-moor-street-station-sign.png

As a result of the rapid growth of rail traffic into Birmingham at the beginning of the 20th century, the Great Western Railway significantly expanded and rebuilt its main station at Snow Hill.

 

However, the Snow Hill station was constrained by the double-tracked tunnel that ran underneath the city centre into Snow Hill from the south and did not have enough capacity to accommodate all traffic. Widening the tunnel was considered impractical...