whitlocks-end-railway-station-old.jpg
whitlocks-end.png

Whitlocks End Railway Station

Serving rural Majors Green, Trueman's Heath, Tidbury Green and Dickens Heath. Large car park.

 

Whitlocks End is a railway station on the Shakespeare Line located next to both the hamlets of Whitlocks End and Tidbury Green, the latter a small village in Worcestershire. It is also located a short distance from the village of Hollywood and the new village of Dickens Heath.

 

Tidbury Green is a small settlement in the south-western corner of the Metropolitan Borough of Solihull within the Blythe Ward. Before the 1930's Tidbury Green was a rural area comprising several farms centred on crossroads that provided passage to south Birmingham, Earlswood and Grimes Hill from South Warwickshire. 

 

In the 1930s, significant development took place, and much of the housing in Fulford Hall Road, Tilehouse Lane, Lowbrook Lane and Norton Lane was built. This development continued spasmodically to the 1990s through infilling along Norton Lane and Fulford Hall Road. Since that date, growth has been minimal as Solihull Council policy sought to protect the area's rural nature. 

 

Tidbury is the highest part of the Borough, reaching 505ft (sorry, 154 metres), so snow seems to last longer here! You could say that the rest of Solihull look up to us!

 

Dickens Heath is believed to be associated with Thomas Dykens, who lived in the district in 1524. Dickens Heath was one of the several areas of open common land in Solihull parish. It was described as being 10 acres in the 1632 Manorial Survey of Solihull.

At the time of the 1841 census, Dickens Heath was a hamlet and most of the people who lived there were agricultural labourers. Maps show that little changed over the next 150 years until the new village began taking shape in 1997.

 

The origins of the new village date back to November 1989, and Solihull Council's need to accommodate 8,100 new homes between 1988 and 2001. Three miles from Solihull town centre, Dickens Heath new village consists of around 1600 dwellings and home to a population of about 4,000 people

 

The Council decided that the new development would be based on a traditional village model, made up of shops, offices, restaurants, homes, school, library, village hall, doctors' surgery, pub, village green and country park.

Address:
Whitlocks End Railway Station, Tilehouse Lane, Whitlocks End, Solihull B90 1PN